Thursday, November 18, 2010

I LOST TWO UNCLES IN TWO WEEKS

David Stohl Hatch  1922-2010


                         
Two of my uncles passed away and  had funerals in the last two weeks.  It was the worst for my Aunt Barbara who lost her husband and her twin brother in about ten days. David Hatch was a wonderful man, married to my mothers only sister, Barbara, after she lost her husband Wayne Durham to MS.  He was a kind and gentle man who took good care of Aunt Barbara after her many years of caring for others. He was always so supportive and loving. They served together for many years in the Salt Lake Temple and were directors of the Washington DC Temple Visitors Center. He had been an executive with ZCMI and also in the Army in WW II and in the Reserves after.

I had not been able to get to David Hatch's funeral, but when it worked out for me to attend Uncle Boyd's in the Bay Area, I jumped at the chance.  I was so glad that I did.  Spence and I met in the SF airport and spent the day together.  I wish we had more time to be together.  You just have to grab what you can.  I loved hearing about Uncle Boyd's life.  He was a civil engineer for Utah Power and Light and then GE when they were bought out.  He headed up many big, big projects in far away places like Australia's Snowy Mountains.  We were always proud of his accomplishments.  The phrase I heard over and over at the memorial was that after they made Uncle Boyd they threw away the mold.

A world traveller

Of the 26 cousins in our Paulson family, 13 of us from all four families were there.  That is pretty good considering we live in at least five different states and 4 have passed away. There was a special feeling being together.

Paul, Janie, Cole, Kathy, Gina, Me, Spence, Beth, Mark, Julie, Liz, Carol, and Cathy

Paul, Mark and Cole Durham with Spence

Spence, Liz, Beth, Cathy, Carol, and Gina

We need to see each other when it isn't a sad occasion.  My mom would be so pleased.  It was a wonderful celebration of Uncle Boyd's life, though.  I only wish I could have been at Uncle David's as well.

No comments: